Progress pictures of my build of the swedish P-51D.
Show 17 previous comments Björn Svedberg
The cockpit is finished and the fuselage is closed up. Next will be ordering some swedish markings and start working on the NMF.
8. December 2017 at 20:51:36
Great start Björn. Good to see a Swedish P-51. Looking forward to your progress
9. December 2017 at 00:09:33
cockpit looking excellent. i am in.
9. December 2017 at 01:48:01
9. December 2017 at 08:23:20
9. December 2017 at 09:12:55
I decided to do the riveting on this plane. It is hard work, but I think it will look better when it is finished.
@Martin You are welcome!
9. December 2017 at 21:03:26
what are you using to do the riveting? it looks quite good.
9. December 2017 at 21:45:05
@Spanjaard It's an RB Productions Rivet-R. You attach it to a hobby knife handle and use it to roll along the rivet line. It comes with four different wheels with 0.75-1.5mm distances for the rivets. I like it so far
But will I need to get a punching tool also for single rivets.
9. December 2017 at 21:52:48
thanks a lot! you can make a simple punching tool, if you have some steel needles. you just need to cut them and use them at the end of hobby knife of similar tool.
9. December 2017 at 22:38:50
9. December 2017 at 23:19:41
but try first with some spare plastic. specially when the tubes are too long, they can bend leading to nasty damages.
9. December 2017 at 23:25:34
10. December 2017 at 03:11:13
Now all the riveting is done. As the fit of this kit is so good, I have decided to paint everything separately, and then put the fuselage and the wings together. I also think it will help with the painting and keeping the overspray to a minimum.
10. December 2017 at 15:10:07
Most of the painting is finished. I need to mask and paint some lettering, but now I'm mainly waiting for the swedish decals to arrive.
12. December 2017 at 21:33:08
12. December 2017 at 22:18:23
13. December 2017 at 10:10:36
Wow Björn the nmf looks amazing. Which paint did you use? Riveting looks very good too
13. December 2017 at 10:21:16
13. December 2017 at 10:38:46
13. December 2017 at 10:43:18
13. December 2017 at 11:52:34
Thanks Erik, Valiente, Hato and Stefan!
@Erik, I used Alclad II Polished Aluminium.
Trevlig Lucia to you too Hato!
13. December 2017 at 12:15:11
Wow! No after market kits! Looks fantastic! Which blue did you use? Keep up the god work!
13. December 2017 at 13:08:27
I did use the Eduard photo etch kit for the cockpit. The blue is Tamiya X-14 with a little bit of X-4 added. I didn't measure it exactly, perhaps 5%..
13. December 2017 at 13:48:46
14. December 2017 at 18:29:26
14. December 2017 at 18:35:01
14. December 2017 at 18:54:35
Thank you Stephan, Arne and Clifford!
It's actually finished now, I just haven't uploaded the rest of the pictures yet.
14. December 2017 at 18:58:56
Blå Adam is finally finished
. I decided not to do any weathering on this as I kind of like it as it is. Maybe I will add some exhaust stains, but that would be enough. I think these were only used in peace time so they would have been well maintained during their service in the air force.
14. December 2017 at 20:05:04
14. December 2017 at 21:31:06
14. December 2017 at 22:40:03
15. December 2017 at 08:12:25
Nice Silver Bird Björn, i think the P 51 in Linköping is an P 51 from sperparts or it has an Crash in its live. They had an pro from an Model K and manny bumps on the bottom.
15. December 2017 at 17:54:44
Yes, that is certainly possible. It had a few dents on it. I'll have to look that up the next time I visit, probably between Christmas and New Year.
I mostly used pictures of "Gul Kalle" as reference for the build.
15. December 2017 at 19:54:45
15. December 2017 at 21:45:41
Add comment »
16. December 2017 at 12:30:54