scale modeling database | stash manager
View images (33):
The incredibly detailed cockpit is now forever entombed under the closed canopy.
The surface is primed but the green parts are gonna be redone. They would look too new like this and we can not have that.
After that i will cover most of the black base with polished aluminium to be covered by numerous layers of paint and varnish.
This album is attached to project MiG-21MF 7705, Aviation Museum Kbely.
25. March at 08:03:03 Share
Welcome gentlemen! I have fixed the green parts and used metal paste on most of the surface. There was just no time for pictures. It looks nice though!
26. March at 09:09:10
Wow I knew the cockpit was good, I didn't know it was THAT good.
26. March at 11:37:27
Yes, it is funny to me that they made a resin cockpit for this. You can not get much better than what is in the box.
26. March at 14:07:38
added pictures of the first layer of paint. this is the light worn original factory scheme sans the green. The original green does not seem to be on this aircraft at all save for a few almost completely faded spots.
7. April at 13:26:49
watching this - great build!
7. April at 14:08:22
Added another few layers. I must be very careful when weathering now. Ripping everything off down to the metal base is more common than expected. Also: welcome and thank you Soheil and Ben.
9. April at 19:12:18
I am mostly done with the colors. There is some parts that hardly look perfect but I did not want to push my luck and risking ripping off what I already have so this is the state I will work with. All is sealed under a glossy coat for practical reasons, the plane will now be sprayed with flat finish and glossy parts will be highlighted using a brush. As could be seen, only limited use of washes was necessary (mostly on the underside). I will try to make a stencil for the nose number as it would have to be weathered as well and I do not want to waste a decal on that.
10. April at 08:11:05
This is most impressive, especially in 1:72!
Do I get it right that you put on all color coats bottom-to-top, then sanded away through the layers to the desired level? What tools/grain etc... did you use - I need to do something roughly similar on a future build and this result is very convincing!
10. April at 09:56:59
Thank you Slavo. It went: paint-scratching-sanding-varnish to seal. That was repeated for each color separately (light faded blue, dark new blue, light faded brown, light faded green, dark new brown, dark new green). The sandpaper I used was a worn 400 grit and new 400 grit. 400Grit is a little rough though, using 600 and a little patience could be more time consuming for better results I think. Great restraint will be needed and prepare to be fixing disasters all the time
(now that I think of it, I am not sure about the grit numbers, I will check later)
10. April at 10:07:46
Thanks a lot, sounds like a few evenings spent in the cycle
Good luck on the finishing steps!
10. April at 11:54:48
the masking tape is off! Happy with the surface reflectiveness now. next stop are the stencil decals, hope they do not mess it up too much
11. April at 12:48:52
Add comment » Alec K
Wow, impressive weathering
12. April at 01:43:05
Return to the overview page to View all albums