Treehugger Btw, I learned that you can make your own metal tow cable by stripping the outer layer of a bicycle's shift wire. The inner core has fewer metal strings as opposed to the outer layer. I tried this and it looks very nice. Heat up to make the "cable" less stiff.
22. June, 08:18
Karel Doležal Thanks for the tip, I've already tried to make some ropes from copper wire.
Shawn C. I made the British Mk.6 and it's a good kit. Lots of fiddly tiny parts, but it's really detailed. I glued my suspension and it turns out that it needs to compress a bit to fit the vinyl tracks. I had to lengthen my tracks to get them on, but you can't see it.
1. March, 10:14
Stephen West I made the same kit (Aussie version) at the start of last year. It is a great kit, lots of detail. Along with the tracks being a bit fiddly, I found the turret was a bit tricky to get on....but looks good in the end
Treehugger I can think of two things that will help greatly. A glue looper tool, that helps adding tiny amounts of super glue at a time, and a glassfiber pen, to scratch away the excessive glue. The pen is abrasive and afaik will eventually eat into plastic, but I haven't yet tried this myself. So the pen is used to gently scrape at the PE parts and the excess superglue will be scraped off.
24. February, 07:08
Treehugger I will for future projects also consider using masking tape to hold a PE part in place when positioning is very important. I also think I've seen peopleuse blu tack (or similar) to keep PE parts upright before gluing them on (assuming ofc, the adhesive doesn't rip the glued on PE parts off again, haven't tried this myself).
24. February, 07:10
Treehugger Also, a Tamiya diamond file for PE parts is a good idea to clean off the stubs. Also, a glass plate to place the PE fret on, to avoid bending the PE as you cut the parts off the PE plate.
Sometimes I am not happy with the PE parts, as they sometimes look too thin, so I use the plastic parts instead.
24. February, 07:12
Martin Oostrom Instead of a glass plate, I use an old cd(-rom). Better for the knife