Many thanks, Paul and spanjaard! The Engines were my main concern in this build, my first real "metal-work" and I really appreciate your positive feedback!
Not much of a secret in doing this I guess...you can really get artistic, because there are so many variations out there!
I used highly diluted paints over a silver base, first copper (revell enamel), than blue and afterwards black (acrylics). always keeping translucent layers and masking off areas that should differ in look. I made fast, perpendicular sweeping motions with the airbrush close to the plastic to get straight lines and no spiderwebbing.
In detail: I sprayed the first segment darker, laid a small metal grid over it as a mask and did the blue. I used liquid mask for the stripes on a blue-ish base in the second segment and darkened it (on the small doors I used liquid mask as well as a first step) The nozzles were made individually for better handling and masking and I tried to variate the coloration on different "panels" on them.
I began very bright and later blended most parts with thinned black to reduce contrast and get a smoky look. After being satisfied with it, I sealed everything with a thin clear lacquer gloss coat and masked everything up. After having the whole model painted I removed the tape and used a black wash and some white oils for the screws on the nozzle.
It is very important to use paints that don't peel off easily while unmasking and to reduce tape stickiness e.g. by first putting it on your sweaty arm
I tested that as a first step, otherwise you get a very nasty surprise while "unwrapping" the finished model
2. August 2019, 17:11