Scalemates, scale modeling database | stash manager
login | faq | facts | about us | privacy |
scale modeling database | stash manager
bobster
Robert W Martel (bobster)
US
Offline

 

62 Ford Fairlane

My dad had on of these when I was a kid in Jr High. It was a 4 door sedan, 3 on the tree, 6 cylinder, blue.
I started with a 62 promo I bought several years ago. It was missing the hood, air cleaner , otherwise in good shape. I got it cheap.
So,,,, I've been looking for the missing parts for a few years. Finally came across this original kit version that had been built it the 60s. it was pretty ugly built as custom, but it had the parts I needed. Got it pretty cheap too. So between the 2 I'll have a complete car. Not exactly like my dad's 4 door, but close enough!

View images (34): | | List
 

Project

Albums: 1 with 34 images
1:25
Completed
1:25 1962 Ford Fairlane 2 Door Sedan (AMT K162-149)
 

Comments

1 | 23. May, 19:53
wilky
So the B pillar didn't stay in place then?
There's a little trick I discovered for those types of repairs.
I glue in the part then glue a backing strip of paper with Superglue.
Best to use the tissue paper used for packing.
It's thin and strong.
It works like fibreglass does in real life.
The paper absorbs the glue and becomes as hard as plastic.
I actually make scratch build items that way too.
Much cheaper than plastic card.
More readily available and easier to work with.
You can easily make curves even tubes with paper and Superglue.
You can use Superglue and baking soda as a filler or Superglue and plastic dust from sanding/filing.
That's what I did before I learnt that baking soda and Superglue was a thing.
I discovered the Superglue and plastic dust for fixing my slot cars because they're rarely ever painted and I needed repairs that would have the same colour as the item being repaired.
Best part of using Superglue and baking soda/plastic dust is it doesn't shrink and dries much quicker than putty, it also doesn't melt the plastic
13. July, 20:29
Spanjaard
amazing second life!
13. July, 21:03
Robert W Martel
That would have been a good idea wilky. The glue just wouldn't soften the promo plastic. I should have kept the kit body. I kinda figured no big deal, but in actuality the didn't make a hardtop until 63! Oh well, I'll know better next time.
I am pleased with the paint job though. The interior is craft paint thinned w/Pledge [sprayed beautifully] and looks nice. The exterior is Testors pearl Blue /w several coats of Delta Ceramcoat craft exterior varnish. Sanded w/2000 then polished with a nail buffer. It was fairly easy to paint and I think the results look pretty good. I'm going to try it again on the next one.
15. July, 16:29
Robert W Martel
Thanks Spanjaard!! I think this method of painting will save me some tile [I hope]. We'll see on the next one. The part that cost me the most was the darn fender ornaments [nearly $20]. I was just going to fill the holes, but just forgot, and wasn't about to repaint it !!! Another "senior moment" LOL.
15. July, 16:35

All albums

View all albums »

 

We use cookies to give you a great and free experience on our website. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.

You can change your Cookie settings at any time. (Essential cookies are for: preferences, security, performance analytics and contextual advertising)

Privacy policy »     Continue