Scalemates, scale modeling database | stash manager
login | faq | facts | about us | privacy | advertise |
scale modeling database | stash manager
Steffen Arndt
Steffen Arndt (Steffen Arndt)


NAA P-51D-5 Fred Ohr

Project summary

Title:NAA P-51D-5 Fred Ohr
Status:In progress
Timeline:Started on August 8, 2019

Project inventory

Full kits
1:48 Chattanooga Choo Choo (Eduard 11134)
Chattanooga Choo Choo
Eduard 1:48
2019 | New tool


View album
New: 19. August at 16:48:38


Show all 12 comments
Steffen Arndt So today I took some photos of my progress so far. As mentioned previously the cockpit is the hardest part on these projects, which costs a lot of time and motivation. This time I kept most of the plastic and added some PE here and there. Except for the instrument panel where I like the Eduard PE sandwich pretty much (photos when I have finished it). The Eduard cockpit is pretty nice oob and looks the part. The fit is "good" to "o.k.". You have to be careful to align the seat and the bracing that is glued to its back.
I really do not get the painting guide for the wheel bay (almost everything is labeled "silver" but is not consistent in shading on the drawings. In the end painted it mostly zinc cromate "yellow" as did Jan Nowotny on Eduards FB page. I intend to keep the main doors almost closed as in the picture of the real thing (still curious if the kit will allow that).
16. August at 16:18:32
Nathan Dempsey Great work so far. The wheel wells came out very nice.
16. August at 16:22:08
Stefan Schacht Hallo Steffen, nice start, i take a seat. Cheers Stefan
16. August at 16:49:58
Steffen Arndt Cheers Nathan and Stefan! Hope to get this project finished for our Show at Gatow .. .fingers crossed.
16. August at 17:50:35
Steffen Arndt I have added some pix of the central cockpit assembly. Nothing spectacular here. Just followed the instructions (more or less).
16. August at 18:36:00
Steffen Arndt Yesterday evening I closed everything up and glued wings and fuselage together. On the fuselage still are some join lines to fill and sand.
The fit of the wings to the fuselage is very very good. The upper part of the wheel bay is interlocking with the cockpit floor (pic 10). You can see a bright line at the lhs wing to fuselage join. This is a very small misalignment I did . It is over-emphasized by the light reflex and really no big deal (+ my mistake and no kit flaw).
17. August at 07:52:07
Steffen Arndt I completed the instrument panel with coaming. The picture does not do it juistice. It is really nice and much better than anything I could paint.
17. August at 18:13:15
Steffen Arndt This is how far I got until yesterday evening. I attached the tail planes and rudder as well as the ailerons. I also built the landing flaps, but I am still undecided if I should glue them on or paint them separately. Instrument panel and windshield were also glued on. As always I damaged the clear part but I will have to wait how much this effects the end result. For now I just masked it, so I do not have to see the flaw all the time...
18. August at 07:59:52
Urban Gardini The IP looks marvelous!
18. August at 14:23:47
Steffen Arndt Thanks Urban. I like it too but my photograph is rather bad.

Today I started paniting the thing. The wings were sprayed decanted TS 30 (Tamiya rattle can silver) and masked. The rest was primed X-18 semigloss black. I added another layer of X-22 as I wanted a shiny surface. (the pic was taken when the X-18 was still partly wet) ... next is AK Xtreme Metal Aluminum
18. August at 21:27:52
18. August at 23:30:36
Steffen Arndt Aluminum is dry...
19. August at 16:49:07


© 2010-2019 scalemates | about us | privacy | advertise | links

We use cookies to give you a great and free experience on our website. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.

You can change your Cookie settings at any time. (Essential cookies are for: preferences, security, performance analytics and contextual advertising)

Privacy policy »     Continue