James Skalicky It is quite the project, and something I have never done before so will be taking it slow. This is very thick enamel paint that has been hand brushed. So far it has taken three days and countless coats of brake fluid to get it all loosened up. It seems that the lighter colors are the most challenging to remove.
27. December 2019, 22:14
JD Enamel is tough to remove, I gave up on a kit I was trying to rescue recently because of all the enamel. I'll be watching...
James Skalicky This is a 30+ year old build that I am attempting to restore and update. If anyone out there has done something like this before, I could use any and all advice that you can give!
16. October 2019, 13:46
Dave Flitton I want to se what you do with this. I have seen some builds like this strip everything down including the wings.
16. October 2019, 15:58
Nikolaos Kouzinis Hello James. I have a C 130H in 1:72 , Airfix . It is very old kit. During the time the dust make it very bad, the colours changed so I decided to recolour them. First I shade the fix problem as yours. I repaired some pieces (f.e broken blades but I had the pieces). Recoloured it with the colours for Hellenic Air Force. Some decals destroyed but I found from spares and the upper red lines I coloured with red acrylic colour . Your colours are very nice so you can recolour the same again. Believe me that it will change and will looks fresh. Fotos of mine in my wall . If something is not very very mimetic dont worry, "Imitation is also the highest form of flattery" the modelling is the target.
16. October 2019, 17:28
Bryn Crandell If you just want to get rid of the dust, I use a large makeup brush. I had to ask the wife and its a blush brush. Soft bristles yet enough to scrub the dust off. I also use a variety of broad painters brushes to clean my builds. I've used a dust off spray that is used for silk flowers. Haven't tried it on my aircraft, but have used it on our training simulator here at work(similiar to a model railroad.)
16. October 2019, 18:13
James Skalicky Thank you all! This is going to be a complete redo, as many of the seams have come apart over the years and I found today that the decals came off while attempting to get rid of the dust. I'm not sure if the original paint is acrylic or enamel, so there is going to be quite a bit of trial and error there. There are also some inaccuracies that will need to be corrected, both with the engines (the props had three blades when my father was flying with it) and the drones. Updates may be few and far between as I am going to take this project very slowly.