Great progress 👍
Well, really nice looking giant, I've seen real one in London and it is ucredibly huge. Perfect start👍, I'll follow the progress with great interest.
Was hoping to upload some progress pictures today but it decided to rain all day 🙁
Great start. Looking forward to the next batch. How is the kit fit etc. I've got this one and the MKI to get through it'd be good to know what awaits.
June 23, 2021
@David Yes it does. More like many Japanese float planes
Regarding the screens, what part number are these on the Eduard instructions (will need also the specific PE set number, not the BIG Ed number)? Not sure what you are talking about, but I can take a look in my references.
Thanks for your attention. ED32 681 #47+48. "It is worth noting that the rear cockpit seems to have been lined with sheet plywood or similar to stop the spent casings from the rear armament from finding their way into the workings of the aircraft. Check your references for confirmation if you can, and grab some thin styrene sheet cut to shape if you plan on replicating this." End quote. Hope this helps.
Ok, now I see. I looked through the Book: The Arado Ar 196 (by Richard A. Franks) to see if it has any info on this. I was unable to find anything, although it's a pretty detailed book and I only paged through it.
That said, this sounds like a later modification to the production machines based on service experience. The B series only existed as few prototypes and 6-10 pre-production machines before the A series was selected for full production (per the book, the D-OVMB marking in the kit are in fact of the V4 prototype, not a pre-production B machine). It's probably safe to leave those part off IMHO. The book has a build of the Revell kit by John Wilkes and he is not mentioning using them, nor are they visible in the cockpit WIP photo. Hope this helps.
@Alec Thanks so much for your input. My thoughts exactly! 😁
June 22, 2021
June 21, 2021
@David I haven't forgotten your suggestion to build both. I have both boxes open near me. There is so much PE involved that going from one to the other is appealing, more gluing, less inhaling CA glue!!!
I thought sniffing glue was part of the hobby's attraction 🤪
@Rui It is, but like any addiction, you build up a tolerance 🙂 🙂 🙂
@Andrea Morris... LMAO 😀
June 20, 2021
June 14, 2021
June 8, 2021
Andrea. I'm away but will
Check out my reference source tomorrow evening and see if it helps out. Hopefully someone helps you out before then.
Thanks Gary but it's all sorted now. I've used Micro Kristal Klear for all the portholes as the kit parts are too thick and a bad fit.
Watching. The interested because I have an 1:72 AirFix Sunderland III in the stash that I am considering for a large kit build. Looking forward to seeing the progress. Cheer!
Hi Rui, comments have now moved over to the album, as I am starting to post progress pic's.
June 7, 2021
June 5, 2021
June 4, 2021
Well, have a safe and quick recovery, and have a good day!
Tamiya's Tent set is now finished!
Just popping by for the great camel unveiling Andrea
I have a donkey for this, who makes a camel 🐫 🙂
My bad Andrea, I thought I read camel somewhere. A donkey that may look like a dog is still pretty impressive ... ha ha!
Looking forward to the rest of this dio
May 30, 2021
May 29, 2021
May 27, 2021
May 26, 2021
May 25, 2021
May 24, 2021
Mitsubishi green applied to the upper surfaces
Looks to be coming along nicely. Great job on painting the crew and Adm Yamamoto figure. 👍
My kit doesn't have the pre-painted glazing unfortunately.
Cheers James! Anti-glare panel and silver underside are painted. A few touch-ups and I can move on to painting the insignia & other markings.
Looking way cool so far 👍
@Daniel Thank you. The markings have been sprayed on, unfortunately the pictures are stuck on my camera as my PC has died 🙁
May 23, 2021
May 22, 2021
May 21, 2021
May 17, 2021
May 16, 2021
May 14, 2021
May 10, 2021
May 9, 2021
May 5, 2021
April 26, 2021
April 17, 2021
April 14, 2021
March 24, 2021
March 1, 2021
February 27, 2021
February 21, 2021
February 15, 2021
February 13, 2021
February 9, 2021
January 16, 2021
January 13, 2021
January 12, 2021
January 11, 2021
January 5, 2021
December 24, 2020
November 26, 2020
November 18, 2020
November 13, 2020
November 11, 2020
October 31, 2020
August 28, 2020
@Christoph I was lucky that most of the canopy is not see-through, so I just glued (TET) it back together avoiding the actual transparent bits. After a fine sanding you won't notice it. @Gary compliment accepted 🙂
Interesting subject. I'm tuning in.
I love 'em: built the 72nd Italeri one...best camo schemes!, so tell us how the 48'er goes together?
@Andy The kit is fine with no real issues. If you have built a Trumpeter kit before then you know what to expect. I did end up with a 1mm gap in the nose, that turned out to be no fault of the kit, but a result of the Yahu instrument panel. I am also having a tussle with mounting the engines in their cowlings. I have put them to one side for now until I figure it out. The underside is painted, when it's fully cured I can get on with the camo on the upper surface. Should be done over the weekend. NB: Handle the canopy with GREAT CARE, it's fragile and I snapped mine whilst giving it a gentle polish!
@Andrea: I wrote my comment before looking through your commentary and photos. I'm on the cusp of going 48 from 72, and want to know how certain subjects I like would perform in the larger scale. The Italeri kit wasn't without its issues too, I see you've coped well with your challenges on the Trumpeter (I've just done their Tupolev and it has few fit issues....but accuracy, hmmmm!)
August 16, 2020
I never realised how small these aircraft are! Low part count = rapid progress 🙂 Cockpit is all painted, wings joined and now in primer.
August 12, 2020
August 11, 2020
August 8, 2020