Douglas C-54/R5D Skymaster and DC-4
Charles Stafrace - Warpaint Series Nr. 109
- Douglas C-54/R5D Skymaster and DC-4
- Charles Stafrace
- Warpaint Series
- Nr. 109
- 96 pages
- Warpaint Books Limited
- Douglas DC-4 » Propeller (Aircraft)
We found 2 review(s) of this book Douglas C-54/R5D Skymaster and DC-4 (#109) by Charles Stafrace on the web:
We are aware of 7 similar reference publications related to "Douglas DC-4".
Wishlist (4 mates)
Stash (11 mates)
Manage your stash »
I did some research last two years and I've found many faults in the book.
First of all –and the worst under a modeller's point of view– the plans are wrong, I've found several mistakes. To name a few:
- Tailplane is a bit low, not too much but noticeable.
- There where four kinds of noses: radarless; with AVQ-10 radar (which required a pointed radome); same radar for the R4D with a slighty different radome and an air intake in the left side; and with AN/APS-42A radar, which required a larger, bulged radome. Each nose had different panel lines, but in the plans are all the same. Moreover, the drawing for the larger radome is too pointed.
- The North Star drawing has the wrong nose, wrong number/position of windows, not ADF 'football' antenna and short engine nacelles, which also should be 2º tilted up.
- As the plans are wrong, the colour profiles have the same mistakes and sometimes there are differences between them and the pictures in the same book.
I've found many mistakes too in the text, specially regarding the foreign users; I think is just a 'copy & paste' from other, sometimes very old, sources. To name two:
– The history of the Spanish aircrafts is very wrong, too long to explain here.
– At one point is given the date and c/n of the aircraft converted to SC-54, but in the Portuguese section is given a date of delivery of three SC-54 to Portuguese AF BEFORE the conversion, and the c/n aren't any of the previous list (in fact, they were just C-54).
More about Douglas DC-4
Search for Douglas DC-4 and quickly find all products, articles, walkarounds and books related to this topic.