for my own good more than anything, progress so far is the hull, rudders, and shafts. Props saved for painting. Deck isn't mated to the hull yet, cut and sanded off lifeboat brackets, drilled out vents, added armor plating around the cockpit and installed the engine room cover, 20 mm ammo cans, and gas canister.
Next step is to hit some details. Cut off the horn, trim the shaft of it and strech sprue with some added milliput to get a more realistically proportioned horn. If I mess it up, I'll toss it, since no photos of it exist.... I also want to figure out an anchor early. Can't have a ship without an anchor, even if it is a motorboat. Filling in under the aft spray shield on top of the day cabin is a priority, so probably milliput for that unless I have a piece of flat sprue somewhere I haven't seen yet. Then sanding. I need to examine the mast and decide how to leave that off and not make it look missing. Then sanding off the windshield frames on the cockpit, adding lights and vents to the sides of the chart house, and deciding what to do with the raft. Probably paint it black rubber and toss some rolled and painted gauze in it. Next is making a depth charge to scale and carving out a mount for it. Once that's done, I'll attach it with tape for straps and tackle the windows on the day cabin. Maybe pre-mask some clear sprue from a helicopter windshield. Once that's done, attach the hull and deck, and prime. Once primed, green on everything. Olive drab mixed with a good bit of white to yellow it "tropically", I hope. Then the hull, then the boot stripe. Then on to details.
From there, I hope to finish up window detailing by hand and finish deck assembly. Hopefully I follow the plan above!
- create draft markers for the bow
- de-ugly the .50's
- assemble and add the WEM 37 mm with balsa planks and rope
- create an anchor and line
- "new" or darken the area where the deck was repaired from the depth charge
- Remove toe line from the area and melt the edges of the remainder
- handpaint the cockpit and wood areas
- black out and clear gloss coat the windows
- rust weather the armor areas
- oil the boot stripe
- add 'canvas' spray shields to turrets
- create gun belts for .50's
- create casing bags for .50's out of tissue
28. April 2015 at 03:23:39