Starting off 2014 with a subject that is personally significant. I started this Cessna 152 II conversion from the Minicraft Cessna 150 Aerobat kit back around 1994, with the intention of building the airplane that I used to make my first solo flight on 31 December, 1981, and used again to take the checkride for my pilot's license on 11 October, 1982. The actual conversion was pretty straightforward; fill in the overhead cabin windows, add the wingtip droops from some sheet plastic and putty, fill in the landing light on the wing leading edge and put a new one in the front of the cowl above the nose gear while also reworking the carburetor inlet in that area and revising the exhaust from 2 pipes to one. I added a bit of detail on the interior - seat and shoulder belts, throttle/mixture controls, and a control lock on the yoke - but all that is really visible now are the shoulder belts from the front or sides. The part that I was hung up on was the paint scheme - I'm not afraid to mask and paint complicated schemes, but this one was beyond my abilities with the small registration numbers on the fin and the even smaller white lettering on the red. This had to wait until I was able to either get a set of markings made, or make them myself. I did the latter, since it is now feasible to print decals on an inkjet printer and the white background made it practical to print. The only way to get white is to print on white paper or have a white background. Between that, and the local model club having a theme for our April meeting of finishing a long-stagnant project, I found the incentive to finish this one up. Well, at least the airplane is finished; I'm still working on the base for it. It's a tail-sitter by itself since there isn't anywhere in the nose to put enough weight to hold it on the nosewheel so I'll be attaching it to a base. It isn't perfect, but I'm happy with it.
20. January 2014 at 21:33:15