On 1944 Spain acquired twelve Do-24 for the "Comisión de Salvamento y Naufragio" (Salvage and Shipwreck Commission), created to help the pilots and sailors of planes or ships of both sides, shot down or sunk in the Mediterranean Sea.
These airplanes were located in Pollensa (Mallorca), and decorated in strong green and yellow colors to make their condition of neutrals clearly visible, until 1958. Subsequently, the four specimens that survived in metallic color were framed in the SAR. These aircraft were discarded in 1969.
On 1971 last spanish's Do-24 T-3 destined in Pollensa, flew to the Dornier factory in Germany after being carefully prepared for it in our Base. After two intermediate stops in Marseille and Lausanne, he reached Lake Constance near that factory, where it was waiting to be towed to the coast on the German side. In his frames he carried the seed of the DO-24 ATT that later, after a profound transformation, flew as the flagship of the Iren Dornier Project.
|Title:||Dornier Do 24 SAR|