First time juggling three turrets and a cockpit in joining fuselage halves.
It will be the first time I've weighted a kit. I thought the tail might be heavy in the Do-24, and it is. I could've weighted the nose, but it's past that now. I can still, and will, weight the engine nacelles. It's high and not far forward enough, but it'll help...and give the craft some 'heft'.
First time in a long, long time joining a wing to fuselage with just struts. I did not follow the instructions. Consequently, I had one strut that was too short (and got a 'lift') and the strut positioning is not perfect.
Am still dithering on the color blue, but have made two choices. I think I'm going to go with the Master Modeler 'Dunkelblau' for the top color and 'Light Grey' for the the bottom color. Dutch Decals 'Orange Triangle' decals have been ordered and on their way from Aviation Megastore.
I'm pleased with my usage of the 'Burnt Metal' covering here on the 'Steel' engine pistons and the 'Copper' exhaust pipes and engine nacelle rings.
I have since placed the 'lifted' strut and it fits fine. A picky builder would notice it, but probably not before noticing the 'off' placement of another strut end. I just added the spinner covers and am ready to add the props to the engines. I think I'll lave the engine off until the second upper coat.
I put Tamiya primer coat down on the undersurfaces. I can say I'm not pleased. Lots of schmootz. It'll take some delicate fabric sanding.
25. November 2012 at 01:03:07