scale modeling database | stash manager
Thread started by Malkite
27. December 2015 at 21:43:13 Share
Good progress on the Beaufighter. But I am a little bit annoyed about Vallejo metallic colours. For the exhaust I wanted to use copper, came out that 3 colours from the metallic pack where spoiled. I had to throw away gold, brass and copper. So I decided to use metallic rust, wich also looks quite good, but, here came the next surprise: my Evolution airbrush with 0.4 needle kept on clogging, using my standard 20PSI. After extensive cleaning I tried more pressure, but didn´t work that well either. Finally, with the usage of Vallejo thinner, I was able to work with the colour. Seems to me as if those metallics are both, tricky to store and tricky to spray. Has anybody else had those experiences? Or, what setting do you use?
4. January 2016 at 19:28:05
are you using Model Air? I have also problems with Model Air metallic colours - they have a strong tendency to clog the airbrush. For me thinning with distilled water works best.
4. January 2016 at 20:30:12
Hi Thomas, yes, Model Air. So I am not he only one with clogging problems.
Using Vallejo Thinner helped, but i will try distilled water, too, since it´s much cheaper.
Thanks for the hint!
I also ordered a bottle of Vallejo Flow Improver and will test that one also with those metallics.
4. January 2016 at 20:47:42
I have never used the Flow Improver and I am very interested in your experience.
4. January 2016 at 20:55:34
@Thomas, so far the Flow Improver works great with the regular colours. Clogging of the gun is prevented very good and the paint does not dry too fast. A good product. But, it didn´t resolve my problems with those darn metallic colours. Wanted to spray copper the other night and the gun clogged almost instantly. Tried it pure, with thinner and flow improver with a 0.4 and a 0.6 nozzle, nothing! All resulted in a heavy cleaning operation on the guns...I don´t know what I´m doing wrong here. Pressure is around 20psi, more pressure didn´t help either.
What I recognized is, when I opened the bottle to stir the paint (a last desperate try to make it work), it stuck to the stick like mud and strange blueish fluid was in the bottle, separated from the copper pigments...could that mean, that the paint is spoiled? If yes, very annoying, because it was a new metallic colour set and 3 of the bottles show this blue fluid.
22. January 2016 at 15:21:32
Marc: I think the blueish fluid is the thinner medium. I have Gold, Silver, Alu which also show the blueish colour. Unfortunately I do not have a proper solution for the clogging problem,. I have gone up with pressure to 30 psi which works a little bit better for me.
But what I use the Model Air Silver, Alu and Chrome paints most is with the brush! No kidding - works very well!
And I will get the flow improver and try it out!
22. January 2016 at 15:37:11
Preshading done...takes some time on a 1:32...excited about the mediterranian blue belly colour coming next.
10. March 2016 at 22:26:43
First coat of middle stone done. Long way to go as it needs more than one coat....
17. March 2016 at 09:55:44
Started applying the decals. Had to learn, that 1/32 models take a huge amount of paint and varnish.
I will stick to my 1/48 models in the future.
28. March 2016 at 19:43:16
28. March 2016 at 20:37:18
Belly also finished, now the matte varnish and the last few steps like antennas and lights remain. My youngest one is already very excited about his new warbird.
29. March 2016 at 12:07:27
Add comment » Marc Stecher
Just added the Cobra to this project. Old kit, but not much steps to do. Hopefully it will bring me back on track with fast efforts and will reignite the fire. I lost track a bit in the last few months and modelling lost priority. I guess the Actros project became to complicated and I therefore lost fun in modelling. Hopefully this one will bring it back.
13. August 2017 at 19:43:45
Join us now! 33.000+ plastic modelers use us
5. and 6. October |
5. and 6. October |
5. and 6. October |
View more »
11. October |