I applied the brake fluid with a sponge to the entire surface and set it aside for an hour. I found that after an hour I could break the paint with a toothpick, but it took several coats of fluid to finally get the paint to break its hold on the plastic.
The underside was more of a challenge, as the lighter shades did not want to separate from the plastic. In order to preserve the raised panel lines, I used a toothpick to gently scrape away the separated paint before adding another coat of brake fluid.
The top half shows the bare plastic, which is in great shape, but light passes right through it. I masked the windows with canopy glue and sprayed the bottom half with Vallejo acrylic primer inside and out.
James Skalicky It is quite the project, and something I have never done before so will be taking it slow. This is very thick enamel paint that has been hand brushed. So far it has taken three days and countless coats of brake fluid to get it all loosened up. It seems that the lighter colors are the most challenging to remove.
27. December 2019, 22:14
JD Enamel is tough to remove, I gave up on a kit I was trying to rescue recently because of all the enamel. I'll be watching...