Mortaio da 149
This is an Italian license built variant of the Krupp 150mm Morser M1881. In 1881 it was a good, modern weapon. By the time that WW1 rolled around, it was thoroughly obsolete. It lacked a recoil system and had to be re-laid between shots. However, the Italians desperately needed artillery; so, they were pressed into service.
The kit from Vargas Scale Models is a little jewel. The resin 3-D printed parts are delicate and highly detailed. The kit includes the ammunition and implements associated with the weapon.
I decided to finish this as it would have appear in WW1 - very worn; but well maintained. The hairspray techniques was used to give it that worn look. I gouged up the wooden platform to give it a very used appearance. After priming with Mr Surfacer 1500 black, I used the excellent LifeColor Rust and Dust set for the platform metal metal work and an uneven coat of Tamiya XF-78 Wooden Deck Tan for the wooden parts. I gave the wooden portion a sloppy coat of Winsor & Newton oils and wiped up the excess until it looked like old wood. After a coat of hairspray, I gave everything a light coat of Tamiya XF65 Field Gray. Much of this was peeled/chipped off with a flat brush and water. After drying, I sealed it with Model Master Sealer for Metalizer. After hairspraying again, I gave it a light coat of Life Color UA 213 Grigio Verde Chiaro. Most of this was again peeled off with a damp flat brush to reveal the underlying colors. Weathering was accomplished with W&N oils and with AK enamel weathering products. After sealing with Model Master Clear Flat, I hit the wear areas with a 6B pencil and Ushi Chrome pigment.
Liking this unusual subject, and the pattinations you have achieved.
Great weathering 👍
Thanks Rui and Bruce! This was only my second attempt with the hairspray technique. It worked great.
I agree with Bruce and Rui.
Looks menacingly realistic. Congrats again, Rick!
GREAT JOB !
Thanks guys!. I am really happy with the way that this turned out. I got the old, worn, but well maintained look.