Having just completed the assembly of the Italeri version of this kit, I was a little curious to see what, if anything Tamiya had done to it with this supposedly "re-tooled" version, so I decided to assemble it too, and paint them both together at the same time.
For this one, I decided to use the full length side skirts for both a visual difference, and to hide the less than ideal rubber tracks that come with the kit, as I only had the one set of Friul replacements. I also decided not to do it in the overal green scheme, but do it in another desert scheme, and use the left over decals from the Italeri kit instead.
As before, no problems encountered during assembly, but the molding seam lines were quite a bit more pronounced in this boxing requireing a little more effort to clean up. The main visual differences are that Tamiya has numbered the parts on the sprues, as well as hollowed out the turret mounted search light and provided a adhesive clear lens for it. There is also some raised weld seams on the top of the turret that replaces some of the engraved detailing on the Italeri kit.
In addition you get some replacement stowage items and assorted hand held weapons as well as a replacement commander figure to pose in the open commanders hatch. (I chose not to use any of these items, and put them into my spares box instead) Also, as mentioned in the previous build, the assembly instructions are far easier to follow as well.
As before, I decided not to install the stowage rack on the side, and replaced the stowage items with another generic peice of resin by Value Gear.
I also replaced the spare track links with left over Friul's from the prev build.
I'd also rate this kit at 7 out of 10
6. February at 00:09:51