On an excursion to the BWE, we were taking into the quarry by a coach on a lorry frame. I wanted to try to build this and found a coach and a lorry in the right scale. I cut the coach in pieces, opened up the windows and added seats. Look at the driver
I hadn't noticed that the eight struts in the third picture were not the same, but all slightly different. It was impossible to see which one should go where. So I enlarged the instructions to make it the real size and so found out which was which!
A secret recipe for paint: mix three colours in various ratios and instructions that are absolutely incomprehensible, even for me with my 50 years of modelling experience! But look at the result, that's what counts! I love this beast!
All the parts I've got so far. Can you spot the lorry? It's ever so small compared to the BWE. I've weathered the mainstructure, to see how I could obtain the best result. The other parts are either primer or painted grey.
Because there is of course a lot of dust and sand, many BWEs were fitted with some kind of protection of the engines. Sometimes a large piece of plastic or something similar to that and often with metal plates, as I did
Adding the wires to control the digger arm. It isn't easy, since the instructions are not very clear and even contradict each other. Still managed to get them in place and couldn't resist to take a picture of the complete assembly.
Because I thought the transport arm quite bare, I decided to add the wires and cables. I had two problems: not enough good pictures and the transport arm had to be detachable. I scratchbuilt a support, which can be removed.
After more than a year, the beast is finished! (Well almost, on the pics I saw I missed some parts while weathering with brown dirt).The main structure with a lorry-coach, bringing visititors to the quarry
The transport arm. It contains a conveyor belt, which brings the lignite to the structure on the right. At the extreme right is the place where everything is dumped on a large network of conveyor belts.
The connection from the conveyorbelt to the mainstructure. There were lots of cables, bringing power to the engines. Because I wanted to make the whole a bit transportable, I used bluetac to connect the cables, so everything can be taken apart
The bucketwheel with conveyor belt. I uesd real sand, used in modelrailway lay-outs! The controlcabins could move up and down in reality. And they were suspended in a way that they were always kept level. So I made this possible.
When building this big machine, I didn't like the thread Revell provided. I found a nice plastic coated metal wire, which looked very realistically. But it was impossible to get it nice and taut. After a lot of searching, I found basting elastic and this looked the best solution! Until now. I realized that the was beginning to sink more and more and eventually the wheel rested on the ground and even the superstructure began to lean backwards. The elastic wasn't strong enough to carry the weight!
The first thing I did to solve the problem, was fixing the arm with glue. This was quite an enterprise, because the weight of the arm is a lot and with the long arm, there is a lot of momentum. But after several efforts, the arm stayed more or less at the height I wanted. Next I replaced the top wires by the plastic coated metal wire, so if the glue wasn't strong enough, this would carry the weight. Fortunately I had used the same wire on the winches, so there was no difference to see.
Next I needed to do something with the basting elastic. I thought I had to cut loose everything, but I found out that I hadn't glued the wire, so it was only held in place bij the paint which I put on the wires. So it was easy to shorten this: I removed more than 50 cms. But now it no longer carries the weight, it is alright to use.